Friday, June 12, 2015

I have been trying to stay abreast of my drawing.  It seems as though I always fall back on developing compositions on paper when I'm not trying to lacerate myself with power tools! Virtually every image I produce begins with drawing, even though the drawings usually evolve into some other media. There is such a purity in allowing a composition to fully develop on paper rather than needing to transform it into metal, stone or whatever.  I still envision the creative process to be the same, whatever material is used.

These things are quite small, 5"x7" or thereabouts.  There is an intimacy to that size that I really respond to; they seem to be on the other end of the spectrum from some of my recent work.  It's like exercising a different portion of my art making desires, maybe in an attempt to stay centered in some way.



                                             "Phrygian Game," 2015; 6"x8"; Pencil


                                               "Budding Out," 2015; 5"x7"; Pencil

No comments:

Post a Comment